Friday, February 15, 2008

Bullion pets the sounds of Wilson & Dilla ...

UK DJ/Producer, Bullion, made some serious noise in 2007 when he dropped Pet Sounds in the Key of Dee to critical acclaim.  The concept album fused together Brian Wilson's Beach Boys opus with the samples of the legendary J Dilla(RIP), not to mention of course Bullion's very own production (he claims the drums are all him in interviews) ...

I remember when I first read about this ... it came out about 3 or 4 months after Dilla died and I almost felt compelled to boycott a listen ... but then I heard a Gilles Peterson radio broadcast where he shouted bullion out, which meant that I had to check him out (probably hoping to disagree with Gilles - I'm not a fan of all his endorsements) ... The concept reminded me too much of Dangermouse's Grey Album Beatles/Jay-Z record, which I really wasn't a fan of musically and is why I was hesitant about Bullion's record ... 

Much to my surprise ... it was a beautiful pairing, and certainly worthy of its accolades.  Of course you gotta love Wilson and Dilla already, and Bullion impressively channels the emotion of both to create something quite nice, while at the same time paying homage to his sources ... 

I've been playing a couple of these tunes out on that early evening headnod vibe - people always ask me if its a Dillla record ... amazing resemblance though.  Would love to hear more from Bullion.  Enjoy this and try to track down the record online ...

critics rating:  Nice Volley!



Bullion - Don't Talk (Close Your Eyes)

No comments: