Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sunday School: Thank You Gospel House

Two years ago I went to this Larry Levan tribute party in Crown Heights after a long saturday night shift bartending.  I was worried I was gonna roll up to a party that had already seen its peak, considering how early in the morning it was, and on a sunday, but I was determined to honor the disco pioneer. 

I arrived at the said address a bit stunned.  It was in the middle of a residential block and looked to be nothing more than a house party with a basement entrance.  I went on through the basement, got frisked and wrist-banded by some make-shift bouncer-type, who instructed me to go to the backyard.  

Traveling through this dingy basement corridor, I became incredibly anxious as to what I was gonna find ... when I surfaced, I was in a huge backyard with about two hundred of the sweatiest people dancing like they were possessed.  The sound system was booming - I can't believe no neighbors called the cops (of course they were probably there dancing).  
I've never seen an after-hours crowd so jacked-up.  They were all dressed for church too, crazy.  

Exhausted, I found myself in total awe of the human interaction.  The DJ, who they said was Tony Humphries, even though I couldn't really see him, was playing the deepest funkiest churched-out house music I've ever heard.  

He played this song around 8AM and people started to frenzy - like on the evangelical tip ... its from Bebe Winans of the legendary Winans family of gospel singers.  A classic house tune with  Louie Vega and Kenny Dope (MAW) on production.  This is an all-time feel good tune.  The kind of song that gets you cleaning the house and praising Jesus ... 


Bebe Winans - Thank You (MAW Mix)

No comments: