Sunday, February 24, 2008

Tomorrow Never Knows ...


It's oscar night ... that might not mean anything to you ... but it was a great year for film and music in film.  I'm a huge fan of the soundtrack.  Music can really make or break a film for me. I hope to one day supervise the placement of music for a few great films.  In lieu of this,  I'm gonna make an effort to post more film-inspired music.

With that said, I came home early last night and found  Alfonso Cuaron's Children of Men on the television - a favorite of mine in '06. I spotted a musical cue underscoring a scene between Clive Owen and Michael Caine that inspired this post .  It was buried deep in the scene, but I could make out the faint guitar chords from Junior Parker's cover of the Beatles tune, "Tomorrow Never Knows".  Its one of those musical cues thats easily overlooked, but I had just found the record a couple months prior at the Sound Library so it was fresh on the brain.  

Its a beautiful piece.  One of the best Beatles covers I've ever heard.  Junior Parker, a blues master, reworks the song into an ominously sweet ballad of uncertainty.  Its included on the film's soundtrack.  Kudos to Cuaron and his music supervisor - excellent little gem.


Junior Parker - Tomorrow Never Knows

No comments: